POSITION : RESEARCH MANAGER
REPORTING LINE : CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
LOCATION : JOHANNESBURG
CONTRACT TYPE : FULL TIME PERMANENT
HOURS : 40 HOURS PER WEEK
Required Minimum Education / Training
- Postgraduate degree (or equivalent qualification) in Humanities/Social Sciences or another
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience undertaking research using qualitative and quantitative
- Experience drafting reports and recommendations that have led to tangible results (e.g.,
programme and/or policy development).
- Experience developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems.
- To develop strategies in the area of research and development (R&D) in order to enable BASA
to achieve its mandate.
- To develop strategies and business plans pertaining to said R&D.
- To provide strategic and operational management of the Research section and provide
effective advice in order to support and assist BASA and its Board Members in achieving their
- To liaise with and provide strategic coordination and advice to stakeholders on matters
affecting R&D, in order to ensure compliance with the objectives of BASA.
- Quality management of the output by the Research section. Detailed duties are attached in
ANNEXURE 1: RESEARCH MANAGER DUTIES
1.1 Research & Development
- The coordination of internal and external research and projects across BASA, giving specialist
guidance and advice to the business.
- Collation and analysis of data and the provision of evidence-based recommendations, which
will be used to contribute to the delivery of BASA’s strategic goals.
- Compilation, formulation, distribution, and process management of policy briefing to relevant
internal and external stakeholders.
- Overall accountability for all strategic and operational development, planning, implementation,
monitoring and control of R&D activities and actions to ensure that technical research is
undertaken within the strategic focus areas in line with the BASA mandate.
- Compilation, formulation and distribution of calls for R&D proposals, as well as the
adjudication processes associated with proposals; awarding of contracts and contract
- Provision of qualitative and quantitative guidance and input into research conducted internally,
as well as externally under contract of BASA.
- Support to other sections of BASA in a coordinated manner, as and when required.
1.2 Management of Operational & Developmental Activities
- Curate and log all research reports, internal and external, to ensure a high-level view of
significant findings and trends, extracting and extrapolating value from them in order to report
back to the business and the Board in line with overall strategic objectives.
- Manage internal research projects, as well as providing advice and guidance to the Marketing
and Programmes sections.
- Manage external projects as required, including scoping the research, and defining research
- Proactively identify potential/actual partners for project and programme development and
- Build and maintain effective relationships with internal partners and stakeholders, to ensure
effective and integrated delivery of portfolio goals in a complex matrix environment.
- Provide proactive advice to colleagues, to ensure locally developed and/or implemented
projects and programmes are of high quality, cost effective and based on a genuine
understanding of need, market demand and key priorities.
- Manage research budget and delivery.
- Work closely with the CEO to agree and meet the organisation’s needs related to business
development, internal data and customer insights.
- Present the organisation’s M&E strategy to the Board.
- Participate as part of EXCO, as and when required.
1.3 Stakeholder Management
- Manage internal and external stakeholder expectations through a clear vision and mission.
- Carry out presentations to government and industry stakeholders on request or as required.
- Distribute selected BASA reports to the public.
- Organise ad-hoc workshops as required within the sphere of R&D.
- Ensure that stakeholder perceptions of BASA remain positive and that the organisation
sustains a high level of visibility within the ambit of R&D activities (i.e., Research staff will
represent BASA through participation in workshops, meetings, contact sessions, forum
meetings, and other industry events).
- Liaise with Head of Programmes to ensure effective M&E and communication of programmes
both nationally and across the African continent.
- Liaise with Head of Marketing to ensure that R&D and M&E are at the core of all Programme
- Line manage BASA’s R&D personnel with regards to delivery.
1.4 Quality Management
- Present specialist advice in high-quality comprehensive reports that articulate the research
findings and offer evidenced-based recommendations for programme development, including
the adoption of potential business models.
- Ensure that all documents submitted on behalf of the Research Section are of the highest
standard, both in terms of content and delivery.
1.5 People Management
- Lead the team on delivering high quality, high profile, research publications and programmes
that reach a wide audience.
- Identify and meet individual development needs.
- Conduct formal performance feedback every trimester.
- Identify and reward high performing individuals.
- Identify underachievers and take remedial action positively and timeously.
- Provide regular updates and communication on the progress of research, including the
incorporation of feedback and edits from the team.
- Manage the reporting and daily running of the Research section.
- Compile monthly update and status reports for submission to EXCO and quarterly reports to
the BASA Board.
- Compile articles for publishing.
1.7 Competences & Attributes
- Strong knowledge of the arts sector.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills; strong command of
grammar, spelling, and style.
- Excellent attention to detail, particularly when undertaking administrative research tasks (e.g.,
data entry, emailing surveys).
- Ability to work independently with little supervision, as well as part of a team.
- Strong understanding of research ethics, ensuring participant data and sensitive information
are kept confidential.
- Ability to prioritise, multi-task, and an agility to shift priorities frequently, with little notice, and
- Ability to work within tight deadlines to produce quick outcomes with required deliverables
- Ability to engage in advocacy
- Ability to attend arts sector events in the evenings
- Own transport ideal
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to establish and maintain contractual relationships
- Ability to address non-performing transactions
- Ability to develop and implement risk and compliance processes and procedures
- Ability to ensure adherence to risk standards and procedures
If you’re up for the challenge, this is your moment to shine! Send your CV/Profile/Portfolio, complete with contactable references to email@example.com , by close of business on Friday, 16 February 2024 , with the subject line “RMHR24_01.”
Got questions? Reach out to Virginia Nkobi (BASA HR) at firstname.lastname@example.org via email.